tonight i made jenns chicken with sauteed mushrooms and onions dinner. here is what i learned and my results:
– i subbed red, yellow, and green peppers in for the mushrooms because mushrooms are slimy and gross
– i’ve never cut a pepper before.i know i’ve bought them for recipes before but i guess i never cooked them and they just rotted because i had no idea what i was doing. you cannot use an apple corer on a pepper.
– my knives are very dull. this is good because at one point i missed and hit my finger and it didn’t even cut me…but it took forever to slice the veggies. these are the super expensive, cordon bleu cooking knives i inherited from lauren when she moved out of the 1960s era public housing projects back in like 01. i think i should get one of those choppy thingies i saw on an infomercial.
– use lots of excess foil for when you rip it while folding over (which i did multiple times because i kept checking on the doneness of the chicken)
– i did not use butter to cook the veggies, just PAM and i did not use lemon juice as i didnt have any. i’m not saying skip those parts, just that i did.
– the cleanup was way easier than i was expecting…it only took a sec to wash the one pan which was a major plus
– the total cook time took over an hour. 1/3rd of this is because i was taking care of a toddler. 1/3rd was because i had no idea what i was doing
– i accompanied my dinner with a salad and sweet potato fries
– the chicken came out moist for the first time ever and the veggies were quite good. i think it all turned out rather well except that i didn’t find the chicken to be very flavorful. paul thinks it is because i use prepackaged frozen chicken instead of fresh chicken si the chicken didn’t do a great job of sucking up the juices. if i knew even a tiny thing about herbs i could have seasoned it, but i don’t so i’d have probably just screwed it up.
– end conclusion: this meal was definitely easy to make since a noob like me made it and didn’t screw anything up. i think i would make it again sometime if i had a way to chop the veggies faster because i think i made it take 3x as long as it should have.